August 23, 2013 by Danny M

Interviews

Birdman Talks Kendrick Lamar Not Mentioning Lil Wayne & Nicki Minaj Names In His Control Verse

Birdman spoke to Complex earlier this week while debuting his Rich Gang clothing line at The Agenda Trade Show in Las Vegas, Nevada.

During their interview, Baby gave his thoughts on Kendrick Lamar‘s “Control” verse, Drake‘s name being mentioned in the verse, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj‘s names not being mentioned in the verse, Drizzy‘s upcoming Nothing Was The Same album, and more.

You can read the interview after the jump below!

How’d you guys respond to Kendrick Lamar naming Drake in the “Control” verse?
Kendrick a friend of mine. So, I never put a label on that. His homies is my homies. So I think it’s just rap. People take what we say too far. Look at what happened with Wayne and what happened with Ross and losing they deals. You know when you’re being creative, it’s a thought, it’s a vision. So I don’t take it in no kind of way. I know at the end of the day Kendrick got nothing but love for us, and we got nothing but love for him. I don’t look at it as nothing more than that.

What about the fact that he didn’t name Wayne or Nicki?
That’s what I’m saying, I don’t look at it like that. I mean, he hustling and he trynna feed his family, but like I say. Kendrick? Homie. Top Dawg and us, we like brothers. Kendrick is my lil’ brother, I got nothing but love for him. So I never looked at nothing, and I don’t weigh it like that, how other people may weigh it. He still the homie, and nothing gonna change. I think people take niggas’ lyrics too far out of context. That’s just my take on it.

Can you tell us anything about Drake’s album coming up? We’re all salivating.
Man, I think Drake is one of one. There’s no duplicating him. He’s one of the most talented I ever been around in my life. I heard the majority of the album, and what he doing, no one has ever done in the business.

With this album, Drake seems primed to claim the throne and get that undisputed title. You think that’s gonna happen?
It’s his time. Ain’t no secret. When you say “claim the throne,” I don’t know what you mean by that. But when I say it’s his time, I mean he’s by far one of the most talented to date. He holds his own weight, he’s one of the most creative people I ever been around in my life, outside of my son Wayne and Nicki.

They all have been very creative, but he’s standing alone on his own. His work ethic is crazy, and I’m super excited. I just feel like this is the time, everything he been through, and the music he do. That set of tracks he just put out? That shit is incredible! And he played it for me, I’m like, “Boy, I saw this before.”

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Birdman Speaks On Kendrick Lamar Not Mentioning Lil Wayne & Nicki Minaj’s Names In His “Control” Verse”

1. Drich Says:

First I bet wayne gonna do control on d5

2. Krema jr Says:

Wayne gon av to slay D5 4em haterz n us

3. jermaine Says:

people taking that verse too seriously.

kendrick didnt mention kanye west, rick ross, and a bunch of other rappers either.

4. I Ain't Nervous Says:

Drake could destroy Kendrick career with a song if he really wanted to.

• This guy Says:

Drake couldn’t ruin KENDRICK Lamar’s career, Drake is one of the WORST rappers alive like every body in YMCMB they all suck

5. The Truth Says:

If Kendrick would of Named Nicki In the verse It would of been a Laugh no one would of took it serious.

6. Mikewill Says:

He didnt mention wayne since he aint on his shit like he used to cause look at the diss he came back with pusha T drake has potential to take the crown and wayne finna retire so he’s not a threat and nicki she don’t fit maybe if lil Kim said this then yeah bout he would get laughed at .

7. Anon Says:

He didn’t mention lil Wayne cause Wayne ain’t part of his generation. And if he talked about Nicki he would of just been called a bitch cause its gay if a male rappers disses a female

8. joseph m pineda Says:

Known can be the same we all have are own thoughts i learn and through it all its about respect and no matter what peoples say pain and love are to subject

9. Dcksck Says:

Birdman cant even answer normal question

All these answers are random gibberish and have nothing with the question ?

What about the fact that he didn’t name Wayne or Nicki?

WHAT THE FUCK ????????

• erick_88 Says:

NO @DcKsck ….you’re just too dumb and stupid to comprehend what you read. that’s all.
      because he obviously answered the question, he just didn’t do it direct to the point .
      it’s called elaborating!!! you idiot

10. tune Says:

Kendrick himself said he was influenced by wayne

11. tev Says:

You right @tune. & Kendrick was mostly calling out the new rapper

12. josh D Says:

KENDRICK WASNT DISSING ANYONE HE WAS CHALLENGING THEM AS ARIST IN THE ART OF HIP-HOP . AND HE DIDNT NAME WAYNE BECAUSE WAYNE ISNT IN HIS GENERATION!!

ALL THE ONES E NAMED WERE THE ONES THAT’S IN HIS ERA. EVENTHOUGH PUSHA T BEEN HERE HIS ASS JUST NOW GETTING ATTENTION CAUSE HE RIDING KNAYE DICK NOW. EVERYBODY ELSE ARE NEW SCHOOL .

13. Dcksck Says:

Erick88

Cool story bro
    Maybe you can learn me reading into shit that isnt even there

Birdmans answer has nothing to with elaborating, his talks alot without actuallu saying anything just like a politician

So either your really misinformed or all that birdseed in your ass is causing your braincells to vanish

14. Cisco Mesi Says:

Lil wayne is the best..that’s why Kendrick did diss him..because he wanted fame for his career so that he could be noticed..as he is dissing the Best Rapper Alive..so the fact is: Lil Wayne Made History..I Truely Respect Him..He’s The Best..!! #Enough Said

15. Cunt Shit Says:

Yhu lame dude saying shit…Kendrick knows who he fucks with mahn…he sure as hell ain’t gonna say no shit bout wayne…cus he is gonna be ruin..as for drake..ama stay put on dah…

16. sonypaul Says:

Drake is truly of the talented artist to date.

• limbaltin Says:

any tin birdman says is correct,he is an ideal boss i wish i was in his crow

17. Alluc.to Says:

This – Kendrick himself said he was influenced by Wayne. Of course he was 😉

18. street addict Says:

ya punk dudes got nah to say because KL will destroy Drake and even Lil Wayne, ya’ll know weezy don’t diss so he ain’t that good when it has to do with real shit…YMCMB are good when it has to do with commercial songs and wack songs as well…Kendrick is trynaa bring back tha real hip hop dick ridaz…if ya ain’t cool with my opinion, fuck what ya feel!