Drake Covers Billboard Magazine, Addresses Kendrick Lamar’s “Control” Verse

August 31, 2013 by Danny M

Interviews, Latest News

Drake Covers Billboard Magazine, Addresses Kendrick Lamar Control Verse

Drake graces the front cover of Billboard‘s latest magazine issue, which you can view above. The issue can be purchased online right now from Billboard‘s website here.

Below, you can read some excerpts from Drizzy‘s cover story with Billboard were he talks about his forthcoming Nothing Was The Same album, his OVO Sound record label and looking for certain artists to sign, Kendrick Lamar’s “Control” verse, and more!

“I’ll be out trying to get a sandwich or something and the guy will say to me, ‘I’d give you a free drink with that, but you know, no new friends.’ I swear I’m not sitting around going, ‘What’s the new meme going to be?’ But I do spend a lot of time when I’m writing, especially lately, trying to make something for people to live by. I’m trying to make anthems that are empowering to people, to find phrases that I haven’t heard before. I’m not just going to sit here and be like, ‘Fuckin’ bitches, getting money!'”

“There’s a lot less sort of ambient ballad moments on this album where I’m searching or longing for something. That sentiment is gone. Now I’m just kind of like, ‘You know, I’m 26, I don’t know what the fuck else I could be doing better than this. I feel incredible about how I’m able to support my family and friends and how supportive my family and friends have been of me.’ A lot of people get on and it’s like they’re just waiting to get more on. They’re always waiting for a bigger moment to come. But I’ve started to realize that this is it, this is the moment. And it reads, you know? People come up to me now and they’re like, ‘Man, you look good! You look like you’re happy.'”

“I didn’t really have anything to say about it. It just sounded like an ambitious thought to me. That’s all it was. I know good and well that Kendrick’s not murdering me, at all, in any platform. So when that day presents itself, I guess we can revisit the topic.”

“The goal is to continue to push the culture forward and form a team that can really contribute some great music to the world. My ears are definitely out. I’m looking to hear the next wave.”

“Being an artist that’s signed to another artist, I understand how much of a representation I am of that artist. So I want to be extremely selective. I want artists who are, first and foremost, genuinely good people who are good to be around, and second, who have pure talent and will make me look smart for signing them.”

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Drake Covers Billboard Magazine, Addresses Kendrick Lamar’s “Control” Verse”

1. flex Says:

drake knows damn well he is better than kendrick

2. Scooter Says:

K Dot dont want it with Papi.

3. Kidd Says:

Drake know damn well he cant fuck with kdot at all any day any place any time any platform any planet or any song

4. drizzy Says:

Kdot better than drake?!!!! You must be joking drake only drops bangerz weather its he’s own shit or a feature,when last has someone came up and said yo drake verse was wack lol this nigga keeps getting hotter once he’s album drop the whole game will know whose the best out at the moment…shout out to weezy for recognising this niggaz talent and allowing him to shine,coz hands down he’ll kill anyone in the game

5. Fabiano Moreira Says:

Hi friends, kendrick kendrick well, face it is nothing conparado Drake …. Drake this innovating and he knows it .. type kendrick verse is clear monster admit it, but kind guy does not have any support are rhymes in vain. Drake already turn shows how the world really is. I’m from Brazil muinto Drake is strong here. consider this verse Control “is only rhymes in vain.

6. official_x Says:

Kendrick os overrated

Drake will murder him anytime

Drake is better

Im Out !!

7. Snoop Says:

Don’t get me wrong,kdot tuff but Drake just that dude.

8. ♥Nicki♥Minaj♥ Says:

HE IS SO HOT!!!!!!! LOVE YOU DRAKE!!!!!!!!

9. LOL Says:

If you guys really think drake is better than kendrick, you need to listen to real hip hop

10. Duthal Barnes Says:

Drake is an raw youngsta I’m og out here kdot got a little mo hits to drop before he gets at drake

11. Drebandzzz Says:

Umm yeah that pretty much sounded like im what your looking for in an artist.. where do i sign up